6.10.2010

Welcome to the DCCA

Trevor Reese, hope to see you soon, 2008
Wood and fresh fruit

As a recent graduate from the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts I am very pleased to be spending my summer interning at the Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts. Over the last few decades much, if not too much, has been said about the spaces art comes to occupy. Revelations that were critical years ago become a little tired despite their relevance. Somehow though, for me this space transcends many of those concerns. The unfinished ceilings are high enough not to interfere with viewing, but their status reflects the contemporary nature and motivation of the space. The galleries are not numerous or large, but their layout and variation gives one a sense of privacy while viewing and somehow the space seems to keep giving as one turns corner after corner expecting to come to the end but not. Somehow an intimacy is created for the work that contrasts with the flamboyant freshness. One can come here and see unknown works by unknown artists. But the relevance, the variety is so palpable and the space becomes a part of it. In the lobby there’s a large installation part sculpture part game. For a dollar one can make art, be art, support art, whatever fits your mood.

I’ve been asked to start this record of my time here. I want most of all to convey my appreciation and admiration for this space and the people who make it happen. I want to propose a discussion about art as a means to share this space with those who haven’t made it all the way here yet, and hopefully compel a few to stop in, share your thoughts, and take something home with you (did I mention Alternatives, the museum store…?). So for the next few months I’ll be sharing my impressions of the work, people and events here at the DCCA. Hope to hear from you.








2 comments:

  1. Meagan-I look forward to your new blog and hopefully this will stimulate some great discussion about contemporary art. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest and your posting! If there's anything you'd like to see here, or anything you'd like to contribute yourself please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete